Getting married in Australia? Legal requirements.

  • Home
  • Getting married in Australia? Legal requirements.
  • Home
  • Getting married in Australia? Legal requirements.

Getting married in Australia? Legal requirements.

The following are the legal requirements for a valid marriage in Australia…

Before your wedding

The Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form must be completed at least one month prior and given to your celebrant. As a Commonwealth Registered Marriage Celebrant, I am able to accept the NOIM form and help you complete the form, which may be accepted by me up to eighteen months before your marriage is to take place.

In order for the celebrant to accept the Notice of Intended Marriage form, you and your partner must provide evidence of your date and place of birth and if you have been married before, identity and the end of any previous marriages for each party.

Both of you will be required to sign the Declaration of No Legal Impediment to Marriage. When you sign this Declaration, you are stating that you believe that you are of marriageable age, and that there is no legal impediment to your marriage.

On the day of your wedding

Your chosen celebrant will make official your marriage and will also request you to sign three marriage certificates. Each certificate will be signed by you, your partner, your celebrant and two witnesses who are over the age of 18 years of age. After the signing, the celebrant will present to you a commemorative certificate as a record of your marriage.

After your wedding

Your chosen marriage celebrant will register the marriage, with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State (or Territory) where your marriage took place. The celebrant is obliged to do this within fourteen days.

Please note: The certificate issued by the relevant Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages is used for official purposes and you may apply for a copy of this certificate after your wedding.

To legally marry in Australia you do not have to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia. But it is important that you find marriage visa information on the website of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

I am very happy to explain any of the above requirements in more detail at our first meeting.

Do couples need to attend marriage education before getting married in Australia?

There is no legal requirement to attend marriage education or pre-marital relationship counselling before your marriage. However, if you both feel it will help create good communication and sound relationship skills, then I have current information about local, state and online providers you may wish to access.

How do we book you?

You are welcome to contact me on 0432 432 812 or via email and we can arrange an initial meeting which is free and without obligation, for you understand how I work and if I am the celebrant for you.
After our initial meeting and you decide to go ahead, I require a booking/commitment fee from you to secure my celebrant services for your wedding day. Once your booking/commitment fee is received, I will provide you with a comprehensive ‘resource kit’ and then we can begin the process of completing the necessary forms and a plan to create your ceremony of love!

Photo courtesy of White Tulip Photography

Let me help you Create a Beautiful Wedding Ceremony